March 25, 2011

Ode to Serena - How to Add Edge

The jackets! The dresses! The baubles! The shooooes! I have to admit, I'm a Gossip Girl fan. The love triangles are incestuous, the people are beautiful, and the fashion...oh lordy, the fashion. I have to say that every time Serena Van Der Woodsen comes on screen, her outfits take my breath away. Of course, she is often wearing couture dresses that are not so practical, however beautiful they may be. Blake Lively's character is put into outfits that are so incredibly eclectic. It's hard to give the style a name...boho chic is way too casual, trendy doesn't do it justice, and rockstar hip doesn't allow for the classically tailored menswear separates she so effortlessly pulls off. Seems I'm speechless, so I will let some examples speak for themselves.
  Am I right, or am I right?! There is no way to describe it except inspired. One thing is for sure though, there are some trends that she holds tight to: layering. From boots, short hemlines, long necklaces, big purses, skinny jeans, vests, and fitted jackets, it all works. There is also an ingenious mix of muted colors, patterns, and brights, which makes one go "Huh, I never thought of that!" So, Serena Van Der Woodsen, thank you for making me realize that proportions can be mixed; that gray, beige, peach, and brown go together; that sequins and lace can be worn in the daytime...and even at the same time; and most importantly, that just because you're visiting Brooklyn, doesn't mean you have to dress like you're not on the Upper East Side!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have to agree with this 1 billion percent... I am straight up obsessed with Goss Girl, and Serena. She is amazing.... I dont know if this is over-stretching, but every morning i say, 'What would Serena wear?'

Great post!