April 29, 2011

My thoughts on the Royal Wedding


Blame it on too much Disney and Barbie dolls (Thanks, Mom!), but my hibernating little girl princess fantasy came to life this morning. I'll gladly admit that I teared up when the new Duchess of Cambridge exited the Rolls Royce at Westminster Abbey.  The neckline, the lace, the veil, the train, the tiara...I have no words for it. It has become my all time favorite bridal look, over my previous faves, including Grace Kelly, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Simpson, and Carrie Bradshaw's Vivienne Westwood. It put every other wedding dress to shame. Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen and, of course, Catherine Middleton, hit the proverbial nail on the head or hit the ball out of the park and however else you can say that it was, well...simply perfect.

Now, I am not one to put the horse before the cart and say what I would have worn if I were a princess bride - don't want to get ahead of myself or jinx the possibility. I will; however, venture a guess on what I would have worn if I were one of the 1,900 attendees at the wedding. The wedding invitations stated "Uniform, Morning Coat or Lounge Suit," which only gave the gentlemen an idea of what to wear. From the pictures of the monarchs, celebrities, and family & friends of the bride and groom, the women were to wear suits or dresses with jackets and hats or fascinators and show minimal skin. Some did it well, I'm talking to you...Princess Marie Chantal (shown in gray), Victoria Beckham, Princess Letizia, and my pick of Best Dressed, Lady Frederick Windsor (shown in navy). 
DO
 
While others, like Joss Stone, Tara Palmer-Tomkinson (shown in too bright and too much blue), Miriam Gonzalez (shown with the red flower), and Princess Eugenie, could have used some of the new Duchess's classic guidance.
DON'T 

 With these do's & don'ts to go from, I would definitely top my pixie cut with a fab lil (or big) fascinator rather than a hat to show that I do, actually have hair. Due to my current obsession with feather earrings, it seems to be a natural progression to also adorn my head with feathers, such as Frances Osbourne's choice below.
Question: how fabulous would the teal confection above have looked with Prince Harry's on again girlfriend's Chelsea Davy's outfit? I think it's the pick that fits my personal style, except for her blah headpiece. C'mon girl...you're in the big leagues!
I hope that each of you enjoyed the day's festivities as much as I did. Cheers!

No comments: