May 16, 2011

Giving One Pieces More Than a Once Over

As a competitive swimmer since the age of six, I've worn my fair share of Speedos and there's little that's flattering with a high cut leg and a smooshed bust! My interest in giving this trend a chance started with Miranda Hobbes' red Norma Kamali suit in the first SATC movie. I'm all for leaving something to the imagination, so the monokini, that covers less than a bikini due to the cut outs, is not on my radar. The tan lines that some of those would create is comical...

I'll take my one piece with maybe a low back or deep V, but that's it - a girl needs support! When it comes to finding a swimsuit, my way is to find a new one is through the websites of Victoria's Secret or J.Crew. I order a few and try 'em out in the comfort of my own home. I can't save the images from the J.Crew website, which is completely unfair, but please click on the links of the names of the suits in my shopping cart - underwire ruched tank in vivid poppy, retro dot underwire tank in rich peacock, and asymmetrical ruched bandeau tank in island aqua. At Victoria's Secret, I will be trying one of these beauties, and after putting each of them on, promptly wishing I had run more throughout the winter or been genetically blessed with a longer torso...among other things.


The key factors in all of these swim suits are ruched sides, bikini cut bottom, and halter or strapless to maximize any cleavage. I also would stick to a solid color or a large print, like big polka dots or a tropical floral print. Anything smaller will risk looking like you're wearing something for a 12 year old.

The lesson today is - if you're not quite ready to bare your midriff, there's a sexy one piece swimsuit with your name on it!

No comments: