April 20, 2012

Dot-dot-dot

 
To say I am a grammatical nut is an understatement. Blame it on my mother, the editor, but nothing (except intolerance and slow drivers) makes me more irate. That being said, I am most definitely guilty of the overuse (and likely improper use) of the ellipsis. Ellipses are three periods that usually indicate an intentional omission of a word, sentence or whole section from the original text being quoted. An ellipsis can also be used to indicate an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence as a trailing off into silence. The ellipsis calls for a slight pause in speech, or any other form of text, but it is incorrect to use ellipses solely to indicate a pause in speech. Well, that is exactly what I do, but I'm not alone! With the evolution of the written word through it's use online and in text messaging, ellipses are also used to show that a thought is forthcoming or to indicate an awkward silence. Now all the adults can blame the kids and the Internet for ruining the English language.


Old Navy Blouse, Apt 9 scarf, Target tee, shoes and tights,, NY & Co skirt, Halogen purse, Stella & Dot ring, Maybelline Coral Crush lipstick

No comments: