May 1, 2013

Hair's the Deal

After trying almost every color, style, and length in these past 10 years, I think I've learned a thing or two about caring for and styling my fine, straight hair. A few products and tricks can make a major difference in achieving longevity in your color as well as volume and movement with your favorite cut.

Living Proof Full Shampoo
After I went dark, I realized that I needed to ensure that I was using products to ensure that my color didn't fade, so I did some research. While sulfates are responsible for the suds that make us feel clean, they are also stripping our hair of the natural oils and the rich color that we pay so much for. Therefore, sulfate free is the way to be. There are a lot of brands that have jumped on the bandwagon and whether you are spending $5 or $25, you can get a product that will protect your color. To lift my limp tresses, it's necessary to start with a clean slate and this shampoo really removes any product buildup with no harsh chemicals. Win, win!

A root pump is a necessary addition to whatever styling serum that you use (straightening oil, mouse, cream, or salt spray). My best friend and hairstylist, Kristin, turned me on to it. After applying my thickening cream, I always finger comb my hair and bangs into the shape that I want to achieve. Then, I spray this directly to the roots of the crown and get straight to blow drying. If I skip this step, my hair lays right against my head...aka my definition of a bad hair day.

Up until junior high, I dried my hair without any care for which pieces went where since all I would do is part it down the middle, curl under the bottom with a 1" curling iron, tuck it behind my ears, and call it a day. The first cut I got that required use of a round brush was in high school and I remember being in tears during the first time styling it myself. Now, after roughly 5,000 goes at it, it's like the brush and my hand are one. Hopefully, for those who are new to it or still figuring it out, this information that will make the process easier, along with this video (start at the 2:30 mark). 
  1. The shorter your hair, the smaller the brush. I currently have three different sizes based upon the changing lengths I've recently sported.
  2. Always use the nozzle and change it's direction so that it's parallel to your brush.
  3. Don't use the round brush until your hair is about 50% dry.
  4. If you have long hair, separate it into sections (as many as needed) and start at the bottom.
  5. When it comes to bangs, always dry them in the direction you want them to lay. After they are 95% dry, use the "cool" button and give them a five to ten second shot to set them in place. This holds especially true for the side swept style. 
  6. Despite your best efforts, if your style doesn't look right parted one way, try to flip it to the other side - from right to left or vice versa. Sometimes my bangs are a bit too "curled" looking and this trick leads to the exact look I want.
This paste and I have been bffs for about eight years. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has tamed fly aways and created piecey texture like this gem. I use barely a dime size and rub it all over my fingertips  until it's sheer and run it all over the ends - not the root. It really creates that "undone but done" look without any greasiness.

Sebastian Shaper Plus Hairspray
If you want flexible hold that dispenses in a super fine mist and lasts all day while supporting volume, this is your make and model. I've gone between this and the Big Sexy Hair option for years. When my hair is short and needs to stay in the exact place I place it, I use Big Sexy Hair since as it's much stronger and less movable. As my hair grows out; however, I don't want helmut head or any crunchy or sticky pieces. so I switch to the Sebastian one. 

No comments: