September 30, 2013

The New Mullet


While I love the concept of high-low fashion, I'm getting a bit tired of using the phrase. The mixing of casual and fancy pieces can be done in numerous ways and I've done my fare share of (trying to) rock this trend. Historically, it's been popular to wear your casual item on the bottom (i.e. jean cut offs or boyfriend jeans) and the fancy, be it sequins, beading, or a statement necklace on top. However, recently, I've been more drawn to having my statement piece on the bottom with jacquard pants, a mini skirt, or metallic pumps and pairing it with an understated striped tee or a jean jacket (see here, here, and here). I consider it an outfit mullet - business on top, party on the bottom. 

Can you get on board with rocking a mullet?

Recreate my look:
Princess Vera sweater (similar), Liz Claiborne tee, Worthington jacquard pants (similar), vintage scarf (similar) and clutch (similar here and here), Sam Edelman pumps (similar)

No comments: